My Best Sweet Potato Pie Recipes
Sweet Potatoes are a staple in the south. We use them as a vegetable, as a starch, or as a dessert. Any way you cook them, they are GOOD! Here are three mouthwatering recipes for southern style sweet potato pies: traditional southern sweet potato pie, bourbon sweet potato pie and coconut sweet potato pie. If you are looking for puddings, souffles,..etc. check under side dishes or vegetables.
Sweet potato pie is similar to pumpkin, only better!
Southern Sweet Potato Pie With a Kick
1 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon lemon extract
2 teaspoons bourbon or whiskey
sprinkle of nutmeg
1 unbaked pie shell
2 egg whites
4 Tablespoons superfine sugar
- Peel and mash potatoes, add butter while still hot.
- Beat eggs and sugar until light. Mix into sweet potatoes.
- Add milk, lemon extract, and bourbon.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Cover with meringue (see below) and put back into oven just until peaks are brown.
Meringue: Beat 2 egg whites until soft peaks form, SLOWLY add 4 Tablespoons of superfine sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Pile onto pie and seal to pie shell by bringing the meringue up to and touching the shell.
Coconut Sweet Potato Pie
2 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups milk
1 medium sweet potato, cooked
1/4 cup butter
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
1/4 cup of coconut
- Mash sweet potato while hot and add butter and salt.
- Beat eggs. Add sugar and beat again.Add milk.
- Blend eggs and sweet potato, add vanilla and lemon extracts. Add coconut and pour into pie shells.
- Bake at 375 -400 until center is set and pie is lightly browned.
Down South Sweet Potato Pie
2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cup half and half
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1-10 inch or 2-8 inch deep dish pie shells, unbaked
2 cups sour cream
¼ cup confectioners sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
- Combine pie ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour for 10 inch or 50 minutes for 8 inch pies or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Mix Topping ingredients and serve with pie.