Heavenly Ambrosia Fruit Salad Recipe
This recipe is a holiday tradition at our house. Many recipes add mini-marshmallows, and you can if you like, but my family prefers just fruit. This ambrosia can be made the night before to allow the flavors to mingle. Add the coconut and pecans just before serving. If added early they will soften and discolor, but still taste good. You can use whatever fruits you desire for this recipe. You need enough citrus and pineapple juice to coat the apple and pear pieces. I like mine juicy.
Heavenly Ambrosia Recipe
6 naval oranges
1 red grapefruit
1 15 ounce can of pineapple tidbits in juice
1 bunch seedless grapes
1 jar maraschino cherries
1 cup coconut (optional)
1 cup pecan halves (optional)
2 Tablespoons sugar (optional- taste before adding)
1. Remove peel, seeds, and membranes from oranges and grapefruit. Work over a large non-metal bowl so that juice is not lost. Cut pulp into bite size pieces.
2. Add pineapple and its juice. Core and dice apples and pears. Peel can be left on or off according to your preference.
3. Mix apples and pears into the juice of the oranges to coat. This prevents browning.
4. Halve grapes and add.
5. Add cherries and enough of the liquid to add a little color to the juices.
6. Mix all together and taste. If the juices are tart, add enough sugar just to sweeten slightly. It should not be very sweet.
7. Refrigerate until ready to serve. At serving time, mix in the coconut and/or pecans, or sprinkle on top of each serving for garnish.