Homemade Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
3 pounds chicken pieces
3 cups chicken broth
2 medium yellow onions, sliced
2 stalks celery, cut into ½ inch slices
1 ½ teaspoons poultry seasoning
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons flour
¼ cup cold water
1 cup all purpose flour
2 Tablespoons minced parsley
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup milk
2 Tablespoons oil
- Rinse chicken, pat dry. In a large dutch oven, combine chicken, both, onions, celery, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from bone and cut into bite size pieces. Return to heat and bring back to a boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour into the cold water. Stir into the chicken mixture. Continue to cook until the broth thickens. Prepare dumplings and place onto top of chicken.
- Prepare dumplings: Combine flour, parsley, baking powder and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Whisk together the milk and oil. Pour into flour mixture and stir with fork until mixed.
- Drop large spoonfuls of dumpling mixtures into the top of the chicken mixture. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- At the end of 10 minutes, remove lid and check dumplings for doneness (dumplings are done when toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.