My mother used to call this dish Spanish rice, though it is very different from true Spanish rice. This is a truly southern dish, served as a side dish with many meats.
South Carolina Red Rice Recipe
6 to 8 slices lean bacon, cut 1/8 inch thick
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced green pepper
2 ½ cups stewed tomatoes (canned or fresh)
1 (7 -ounce) can tomato paste
2 cups long grain rice
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon powdered thyme
1/4 teaspoon powdered sage
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Fry the bacon in a heavy pan over slow heat until lightly browned on both sides.
- Remove the bacon to paper toweling and put in the prepared vegetables and cook them slowly in the fat until the onion is transparent.
- Add the tomatoes and the tomato paste and enough water to wash out the tomato paste can, the rice, the sugar, herbs, saIt and pepper. Mix well. If the rice isn’t covered with liquid add enough boiling water so that it is.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Cook for 40 minutes or until all the moisture disappears or bake in a 300-degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cut the bacon into pieces (it should be cooked but not crisp) and stir into the rice. Serve as a main dish or as an accompaniment to fried chicken or any meat dish.