Stewed Kumquats and Prunes Recipe
This recipe is from the 1930’s. It was popular in the more southern regions where Kumquats were plentiful. Serve it as a breakfast dish or a side dish.
6 kumquats, sliced thin
1 cup pitted prunes
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup prune juice
1/2 cup orange juice
- Wash 1 cup of prunes and soak them in cold water over night.
- Cook the prunes slowly in the water in which they were soaked until soft.
- Add half of the sugar and cook 5 minutes longer. Season with orange juice.
- Drain and pit the prunes.
- Add kumquats to the prune juice. Let simmer a few minutes; then add the remaining sugar.
- Cook slowly until kumquats are tender, then add the prunes and serve.